Martha Stewart’s cookbook Appetizers features recipes for over 200 hors d’oeuvres, dips, spreads, tapas, and other small plates. Appetizers is an essential reference for anyone who loves to entertain.
I received a complimentary review copy through Blogging For Books. Right from the start, I was impressed with this hardbound, colorful book. The images are beautifully styles and the food looks delicious.
On the downside, this book intimidates me. Normally, I like to prepare a recipe before posting a cookbook review. To be fair, there are plenty of delicious recipes that are simple enough for me. I am sure I will prepare a few for Christmas or a New Years party. I suppose what really intimidated me was the image illustrating the ceviche section. Some ceviches were shown served in little shell shaped lettuce leafs containing a tiny amount of ceviche (like a shrimp and a carefully coiled calamari ring)!
I am working on a review of the cookbook Appetizers by Martha Stewart. I admit I am a little intimidated by this image of ceviche. How do you make these little lettuce leaf shells? #goals #ceviche #bloggingforbooks #cookbook #marthastewart #appetizers (book received for review, the image is a photograph of a page in this book)
What I liked About Appetizers By Martha Stewart
- This book is beautifully illustrated; I am learning about food styling and presentation from looking at the pictures.
- It contains over 200 recipes, with so many options there are recipes for any preference or dietary needs.
- Appetizers includes useful reference segments such as “Golden Rules for Hosting a Party” (a list of ten tips), Party Planning Strategies, and a section on drinks (either with or without alcohol).
- The recipes are well organized by these with a few variations.
- Some of the recipes do not appeal to me, but many look delicious.
What I Wish Was Different
- As mentioned, I am slightly intimidated by the styling of some recipes. However, this is a tiny issue because I would simply adapt to my own style. Considering the variety and attention to detail, it is hard to find fault.
- The recipes lack nutrition information. My preference would be to see it included. However, I fully understand these are party foods so many readers will not mind. Some of the recipes are quite healthy, and I think some hosts may desire basic nutrition information to help them choose a few healthy options (or a healthy party!).
My Overall impression of Appetizers By Martha Stewart
I feel this is a wonderful reference for anyone who likes to entertain or who is planning to entertain. When I eat out, I am always most interested in the tapas, small plates, starter menu and would love to enjoy an evening tasting some of these recipes.
Appetizers is also a thoughtful gift idea for your favorite aspiring host, hostess or chef.
Summary of Martha Stewart’s Appetizers
Summary from the publisher: Hors d’oeuvres made modern: Today’s style of entertaining calls for fuss-free party foods that are easy to make and just as delicious as ever. With more than 200 recipes for tasty pre-dinner bites, substantial small plates, special occasion finger foods, and quick snacks to enjoy with drinks, Martha Stewart’s Appetizers is the new go-to guide for any get-together.
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Clarkson Potter (September 8, 2015)
Product Dimensions: 7.7 x 0.9 x 10.3 inches
About Martha Stewart
MARTHA STEWART is the author of dozens of best-selling books on cooking, entertaining, homekeeping, gardening, weddings, and decorating. She is the host of The Martha Stewart Show, the Emmy-winning daily syndicated television program, and founder of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, which publishes several magazines, including Martha Stewart Living;produces Martha Stewart Living Radio; and provides a wealth of ideas and information on www.marthastewart.com. (Source publicity materials from Penguin Random House)