The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet14.87
What I Liked (The pros)
- Author provides insights into the science
- Author provides practical tips for diet, activity and lifestyle
- The diet is described as low-carb Mediterranean but includes various cuisines
- The book is easy to browse, skim or read
A Few Cautions (The Cons)
- The suggested diet is very low calorie (800 calories), the author explains the science and the diet is adaptable
- The recipe section is low on photographs, I prefer more food images.
Type two diabetes is a dangerous disease that is on the rise. Dr. Michael Mosley’s book The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet – How To Beat Diabetes Fast (And Stay Off Medication) offers tips, strategies, recipes and a diet plan to help reverse type two diabetes and pre-diabetes.
Many people are pre-diabetic and do not even know. This book contains information helpful for those who are pre-diabetic as well!
I received a review copy of The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet from the publisher. Although I am not diabetic, in the past I have been mildly pre-diabetic. This has increased my awareness on the subject. Nothing in this post is intended as medical advice as I am not qualified to offer advice nor am I experienced with diabetes.
I am familiar with some of Dr. Mosley’s work as I have watched a couple of his documentaries on fitness, heath and diet. Two in particular “Eat, Fast and Live Longer” and “The Truth About Exercise” were especially eye-opening. I mention these, because the information presented in this book is very much related to some of the information from these documentaries (I believe both have been aired on BBC’s Horizon and the Public Broadcasting Service and are readily available online).
My Review of The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet by Micheal Mosley
First, I must admit I am a fan of Dr. Mosley’s documentary projects. I do not always agree with his opinions, but I appreciate how his work explores the science and he thinks outside the conventional wisdom box. The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet is not an exception. The introduction describes Dr. Mosley’s background including his personal experiences with diabetes and prediabetes. A chapter also provides clearly explained scientific explanation drawing from the author’s training as a medical doctor. So far so good!
What I liked About The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet
- The scientific explanations were well written and easy for a layperson to understand.
- I really enjoyed his approach to physical activity and his tips for adding more non-exercise to your daily lifestyle. I also like that he shares some insights into why strength training is beneficial.
- I tried several of the breakfast recipes (though usually for lunch). They were delicious and easy to prepare.
- I found the 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet to be a great mix of motivational and informational.
What Reservations I have:
- In certain situations, Dr. Mosley advocates a very low-calorie diet (around 800 calories a day). To his credit, he explains his insight into the science behind the benefits of rapid weight loss.
- I personally have issues following a diet that is very low in carbs. I tend to experience shaky knees, lightheadedness and inability to concentrate when I either accidentally or intentionally limit carbs while staying active. It tends to hit me during long duration, low-intensity activities like walking, dancing, golfing or just working (one of my part time jobs is fairly physical). This shaky feeling hit me this weekend when I played golf after eating one of the suggested breakfast recipes. It was easily remedied by eating a banana, but I think that was possibly counter-productive for the goals of this diet. To Dr. Mosley’s credit, he does offer responsible cautions about which situations may not be a good match for the low-calorie diet and advises readers to seek medical advice.
- I wish there were more images in the recipe section of this book.
Summary The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet
The following summary was submitted by the publisher to describe The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet:
A groundbreaking guide to defeating diabetes without drugs—including a step-by-step diet plan, recipes, and the science behind why the program works—from #1 New York Times bestseller Dr. Michael Mosley whose life-changing FastDiet series brought on “a health revolution”
Our modern diet, high in low-quality carbohydrates, is damaging our bodies—producing a constant overload of sugar in our bloodstream that clogs up our arteries and piles hidden fat into our internal organs. The result has been a doubling in the number of type 2 diabetics, as well as a surge in those with a potentially hazardous condition—prediabetes. It is now known that even moderately elevated blood sugar levels can trigger heart disease, stroke, dementia, and cancer.
Scientists have recently demonstrated that you can prevent and even reverse type 2 diabetes with a simple change in diet and lifestyle.
Drawing on the work of Professor Roy Taylor—one of the UK’s foremost diabetes experts—and his own experience as a one-time diabetic, Dr. Michael Mosley presents a groundbreaking, science-based, 8-week plan for diabetics who want to reverse their condition (and then stay off medication). He also offers a more flexible regime for people interested in the extensive health benefits to be gained from lowering their blood sugar levels and shedding dangerous fat.
- Author Michael Mosley
- Hardcover: 256 pages
- Publisher: Atria Books (March 22, 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1501111221
- ISBN-13: 978-1501111228
- File Size: 39436 KB (Kindle or eBook Version)
About Micheal Mosley
Dr. Michael Mosley is the #1 New York Times bestselling author, with Mimi Spencer, of the FastDiet published in over thirty-two languages around the world. He is also coauthor, with Peta Bee, of FastExercise and wrote the foreword for the FastDiet Cookbook by Mimi Spencer and Dr. Sarah Schenker. Dr. Mosley trained to be a doctor at the Royal Free Hospital in London before joining the BBC, where he has been a science journalist, executive producer, and, more recently, a well-known television personality. He has won numerous television awards, including an RTS (Royal Television Award), and was named Medical Journalist of the Year by the British Medical Association.
Find Dr. Mosley Online:
Where to Find The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet
Affiliate link to follow, if you follow the following link and make a purchase than Feeling Fit receives a modest commission with no price increase to you…
Dr. Michael Mosley’s book The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet – How To Beat Diabetes Fast (And Stay Off Medication) is available through many popular retailers including Amazon starting 3/22/2016:
- Hardcover version of The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet on Amazon
- Kindle version of The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet on Amazon
Also, visit the book’s web site for ore details: The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet