A good bath is a wonderful guilt-free indulgence and reward! I love to enjoy one after a good workout or a hard day at work. One thing that elevates a bath from functional to luxurious is a nice bath oil. I enjoy commercially made bath melts so I decided to make my own. Today I will share my recipe for DIY recipe for Shea It Is So! Bath Melts. These melts contain a variety of rich oils including Key West Organic, Unrefined Shea Butter and are deeply moisturizing.
|At a glance: DIY Shea It Is So! Bath Melts #sheabutter|
Disclosure: I used my free sample of Key West Organic, Unrefined Shea Butter that I received for this related review. I also include affiliate links in the purchasing information. The opinion, recipe and experience described are my own.
|My DIY Shea It Is So! Bath Melts feel as delicious (in the bath) as they look|
Recipe: DIY Shea It Is So! Bath Melts
This DIY recipe can be adapted to your preferences. I made mine unscented because I wanted something gentle, you can scent it with any essential oil that is safe for application to the skin.
Please note, this product is intended for external use only. Since Shea butter is made from the nut of the African Shea tree, it is not safe for people who are allergic to nuts.
|The ingredients I used for this Bath Melt: Key West Shea Butter, olive oil, coconut oil, argan oil and Vitamin e oil|
- Key West Organic, Unrefined Shea Butter – 1 cup
- Olive Oil- 2 tablespoons (can use more or less depending how soft you want the melt to be)
- Coconut Oil – 3/4 cup
- Argan Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Vitamin E Oil – 1/2 tablespoon
A soap mold, ice tray or other mold: I used silicone cupcake liners
Instructions to Make Shea It Is So! Bath Melts:
- Set up double boiler. I don’t have one, so I make due by placing an oven safe Pyrex baking dish on top of a saucepan. I set the heat on low similar to what I would use to simmer a sauce.
|Demonstration of my improvised double boiler–picture used in Whipped Shea Butter tutorial|
- Put olive oil, coconut oil and shea butter in a double boiler and allow to melt. If you are doing this using Shea butter, you may be able to skip this step. I wanted the oils to mingle. The oils never got too hot, I could touch them without getting burned the whole time. I really just needed them to melt enough so I can mix them together.
- Once melted, remove from heat. Add any essential oils, colors or other oils you want. I added Argan oil and Vitamin E oil just to make a more luxurious melt. Do this at the end to avoid overheating. Pour or scoop mixture into molds. I ladled mine into silicone cupcake liners.
- Allow to cool until the oils are solid. Note that my completed melts have a yellowish tint, the Key West Organic, Unrefined Shea Butter is actually beige, the yellow comes from the olive oil.
|The Results — Cupcake shaped bath melts|
How to Use Your Shea It Is So! Bath Melts:
Start to run a warm bath, place one melt in the water (or a half of a melt depending how much bath oil you want). The Shea It Is So! Bath Melts will melt into the warm water to make a rich bath oil. Enjoy your moisturizing bath! I found I felt greasy when I left the bath, but the oils absorbed into my skin within an hour of my bath. Next time, I may try 1/2 a melt.
About Key West Organic Unrefined African Shea Butter:
Key West Organic Unrefined African Shea Butter is raw and unrefined (as the name implies). Shea Butter is highly nourishing and moisturizing. It is rich in Vitamins A, E, F & K. No wonder you find it in so many high-quality moisturizing lotions, lip balms and hair conditioners! Key West Beauty strives to provide high quality Shea Butter (and other natural products) along with excellent customer service. I found this shea butter to be very creamy and easy to work with. For those who don’t know, shea butter is solid at room temperature and melts fairly easily from body heat.
Features and Benefits of Key West Organic Unrefined African Shea Butter, According to Key West Beauty:
- Certified USDA organic
- 100% natural
- BPA free and FDA approved container
- Sourced from a local women’s co-op in Ghana to ensure fair wages
- 14 ounces
- 100% money back satisfaction guarantee
Where to Purchase Ingredients Featured In This Tutorial:
(Affiliate links to follow, if you click on the Amazon links and make a purchase you support Feeling Fit, Bit by Bit as we receive a modest commission)
For more information visit the companies website: Key West Organic Unrefined African Shea Butter
or Amazon: Key West Organic African Shea Butter product listing.
Products Featured in this Tutorial: