Move over Sriracha, it is time for Harissa! Both offer spicy goodness. Harissa reminds me of Mediterranean nights. I first tasted it while visiting Tunisia as it was served with just about everything. It reminds me a little of Sriracha due to the mingling of chili and garlic, but Harissa features lemon juice rather than vinegar.
Disclosure: I received samples of a couple of the featured ingredients for mention on Feeling Fit. I chose to include them in this recipe as they perfect for this Harissa chili paste. I received complimentary samples of both the Kiva Hot Smoked Paprika and the Calolea Olive Oil.
This easy, spicy Harissa recipe features dry chili flakes (I get mine from the Mexican aisle), Kiva paprika, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, caraway seed, cumin seed, and cardamom. It might not be the most authentic Harissa, but it is a highly versatile spicy seasoning. I used my home-made Harissa to flavor a delicious Greek yogurt sauce to accompany fish and couscous. (I will share that recipe soon!)
Easy, Spicy Harissa Chilli Sauce Recipe:
- 4 ounces dry red chili flakes
- 4 cloves garlic
- Juice from one lemon
- 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Kiva Smoked Hot Paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- Pour boiling water over dried chili and allow to soak for about 30 minutes
- It is easiest to use a mini-food processor and to purée the ingredients into a paste.
- The exact mix is very forgiving and can be improvised according to your taste...
- Mix the lemon juice and all dry spices little by little in the processor and purée. Add a little olive oil.
- A little goes a long way, but the resulting Harissa chili paste stores well in a refrigerator.
About Kiva Hot Smoked Paprika:
This Harissa featured Kiva’s Hot Smoked Spanish Paprika. It gives a wonderful red hue and a delicious smoky flavor. Kiva is my new favorite paprika and I will feature it in other recipes in the future. Kiva sent samples of their Hot Smoked Spanish Paprika and their Smoked Sweet Spanish Paprika. Both are a delightful and healthy way to season food.
Kiva claims they import our smoked paprika from the famous La Vera region of Spain. “Following a century old recipe, hand-harvested peppers are smoked dried over holm oak for a minimum of 14 days . This gives the paprika its unique rich flavor.” Kiva paprika is made in small batches to ensure optimum aroma, color and flavor.
Kiva Smoked Spanish Paprika is Available in Two Styles:
- Sweet Smoked Paprika: Deep, rich flavor with a slightly sweet undertone.
- Hot Smoked Paprika Deep, rich, slightly spicy flavor
Kiva Paprika adds flavor and depth to rice, meat, seafood, stews, soups, eggs, vegetables, etc. I will post a delicious fish recipe featuring the Sweet Smoked Paprika and the Harissa!
About Kiva (in their own words):
“At Kiva, we strive to provide you with innovative food from around the world that is great tasting, healthy and of the highest quality. We are committed to using only ingredients that are sourced directly from local farmers that practice sustainable and eco-friendly methods.”
Where to Purchase Kiva Paprika:
Kiva Paprika (and other spices and super foods) are available at the Kiva website. The spices are also available on Amazon (Affiliate link to follow): Two Pack – Kiva Hot Smoked and Sweet Smoked Spanish Paprikas on Amazon.