Do you love to dance? Even in secret? Do you love the lively yet sensual and graceful motions of Salsa dance? If would like to learn how, keep reading! Also, if you are taking (or thinking about taking) Salsa dance classes and want a resource to use at home, keep reading… The Salsa Dance Mastery System might be perfect for you.
SalsaCrazy sent me a review copy of their Salsa Dance Mastery System. This system is a comprehensive 5 DVD set containing Salsa Dance instruction at the beginner and intermediate levels.
Description of Salsa Dance Mastery System From the Producer:
“SalsaCrazy Presents their Complete Salsa Dance Mastery System, five progressive DVDs from absolute beginners (having never danced a step in their lives), to solid “professional” Social Salsa Dancers. This salsa dancing mastery system will take you step by step through the entire learning process. This 5 DVD package takes you effortlessly from your very first steps as an absolute beginning dancer all the way through to a high level of salsa dance mastery. Be able to dance with anyone, anywhere, anytime.
Why learn to Salsa Dance? It’s fun, social, and a passion that will last you a lifetime! The benefits to health, fitness, coordination, and lifestyle will be far beyond what you can imagine now! Anyone can, and should, learn to Salsa Dance. Give it a try, with the finest, simplest, and most complete learn to salsa dance system on the market. It’s finally here – your definitive guide to learn to salsa dance. Don’t miss this fantastic DVDs that really walks you, step-by-step, through all the fundamentals of Salsa Dancing in a fun, social and energetic way.”
Salsa Dance Mastery System Trailer:
A Short Interview With The Creator:
My Impressions and Experience:
First a little about my background. I consider myself a rusty, beginner at Salsa dance. I have previously taken live classes and use to dance Salsa socially. I also do a lot of other types of dance–dancing is my main hobby.
I use to feel uncoordinated and had difficulty following rhythm–very sad as I always loved music and dance. After taking dance classes in a variety of styles of dance from around the world, one day I got over all that and can just enjoy myself. I personally feel there are very few people who can not hear and respond to music. I believe it is usually our own inhibitions and over-thinking it that gets in the way and causes us to move off beat. This is even more true when learning social partner dances.
When I took Salsa classes, I really didn’t hear the rhythm. Now I am surprised I ever felt that way as it feels very obvious to me now. I mention this because I think this set is perfect for people like I was (when I was taking beginning Salsa classes). I wish I knew about it when I was taking classes. The way the instructor breaks down the rhythm and verbally cues help to remove some of that over thinking from your practice. It may be a little annoying to some who intuitively understand the music and have no issues dancing to the music, but I think it is an excellent teaching tool for beginners. I mention this for anyone who secretly wishes to dance, but feels intimidated.
Overall, Salsa Dance Mastery System is a very well done, comprehensive instructional set. Saying that, I do feel it has some strengths and weaknesses a potential buyer may want to consider.
What I liked:
- Lots of content — five DVDs contain around 8 hours of instruction.
- Detailed instruction that is broken down so a beginner can learn, the first disk feels more like drilling fundamentals than dancing but as the set progresses it contains more and more of the fun dancing.
- Since it is on DVD, you can practice as much as you need–the back button and pause button are your friends.
- Extensive menu allows you to select the section you want to review.
- Logical Progression throughout the series, it starts with basics and moves to more fancy dance moves little by little.
- Instructor is good at counting and breaking down the rhythm. I think this would be good for people who are intimidated by rhythm, unfamiliar with Salsa music or feel “rhythmically challenged”. I think this DVD could help along with listening to music and practicing.
- Nice assortment tips and techniques to improve your dance.
- The video contains split camera views that how the dancers full body in one and a close up of their feet in the other. The closeup of the feet is very useful when practicing footwork!
- I like the music as it offers a fun Salsa club feeling.
What I Wished Were Different:
- I could not easily see what topics are on each DVD, a printed guide would be helpful for returning users or those who already have a Salsa background and would like to brush up on a topic.
- Slightly cheesy presentation that some will love and some won’t. I think it would be a hoot to take a live class with the instructor
- Sometimes the clothing or the set are a little too dark in the first disc so it is difficult to see the details from across the room. I didn’t notice this problem with the later discs in the series. The sad part is it is mainly a problem with the basic beginners segments.
Overall, I think this set is a good value and offers a lot of instructional content.
Who it would be good for:
- Anyone wanting a guided at-home practice to complement their classes. When I took Salsa dance classes, I wanted a DVD set like this
- Couples wanting a fun date night option that are not able to take a live class
- Couples wanting to prepare for their wedding
- Singles wanting to build their dance skills for the clubs–but I really suggest these singles take live classes if possible as it is a great way to meet new people
- Dancers of other styles who wish to expand their social dance horizons
Where To Purchase Salsa Dance Mastery System:
The Amazon links in this section are affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase I receive a modest commission. It doesn’t effect your price bur supports Feeling Fit, Bit by Bit. Win-Win!
Also On Feeling Fit, Bit by Bit:
- Pilates For Dancers Workout DVD Review
- Workout DVD Review: Physique 57 Classic Volume Two
- Mary J Blige The London Sessions Is Powerful Yet Uplifting (Review)
- Idina Menzel Sends Warm Holiday Wishes (Album Review)
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.