Coffee is one of my not-so-guilty pleasures. As I believe in healthy moderation, I generally limit myself to 1-2 cups a day so I like to make that cup count! My favorite morning ritual is to sip a delicious cup of coffee while I plan my day.
This is my first curated collection of homeware. As it happens, I received all of these items for review from four different fabulous companies. I planned to write about each individually, but find I use them together and they work well together as a set. So I decided to introduce them to you as I use them…
Tips: How to Enjoy A Delightful Cup of Coffee Using a French Press
- Good coffee makes a difference. There are a lot of great coffees available and personal taste is very subjective. I used whole bean coffee that I purchased from a local artisan coffee retailer (They do not know that I am mentioning them, but they are online at www.oregoncoffeeandtea.com). I am not exclusive though and found several brands I enjoy including a store brand at my local budget grocery store. good coffee comes at a variety of price points. If you find one you like, be sure and make a note for future reference!
Start with freshly ground coffee if you can. Pre-ground coffee is convenient and can make a nice cup. I prefer to grind my own mainly because it stays fresher longer and because I use a couple different types of coffee pots.
Different brewing methods can work better with different grinds. The best grind varies depending on whether you bdw with a drip, percolator, French Press, Moka pot, espresso machines, cold press, or k-cup machine. You can use the same coffee beans ground in different ways to best work with your brewing method at that moment.
I find that this manual bur coffee grinder from Cozyna coordinates well with the retro look of the French press. It also contributes to the delicious flavor if the right grind is used. For a French Press, a coarser even grind is generally recommended.
- Follow the directions most appropriate for your coffee maker as a starting point, but feel free to experiment a little. For a French Press… I use an electric tea kettle to heat the water. Mine has a separate setting for tea, but I usually just let the water cool about 30 seconds before I pour it into the pot. I allow it to steep for about 3 minutes then plunge. There may be a little trial and error in finding what works best for your preferences. Feel free to experiment! For example, I learned for me, I use a little more coffee than suggested.
4. Finishing Touches – I tend to prefer lattes and Café au lait type drinks so frothed milk is a special finishing touch. I don’t always use dairy milk, I sometimes use coconut and almond milk (both homemade and commercially prepared). Other finishing touches include cardamom, cinnamon, cocoa or nutmeg sprinkles if you want to highlight the flavor and add a decorative touch!
Following these steps and using attractive coffee preparation gadgets make my morning cup special. I was surprised they are not as time-consuming as I expected especially once you get the rhythm and technique!
Products Featured: My Curated Retro Look Stainless Steel Coffee Service
Francois et Mimi Vintage Double Wall French Press:
The Francois et Mimi Vintage Double Wall French Press is a stylish, yet functional French press coffee pot. I was using a glass French Press from a well-known brand. But I think I prefer stainless steel. The double wall keeps the coffee (or tea) hot and it is also safer as the outside of the pot does not feel hot to the touch.
I feel the broad base also lends a feeling of stability to the pot. I love just about everything about this coffee pot other than I feel a little resistance plunging the pot after the coffee is steeped. This is just a minor issue and is not a deal breaker for me.
The following video highlights my impressions of this pot, the benefits and includes a quick demonstration of how to use it…
The Cozyna Ceramic Burr Manual Coffee Grinder
The Cozyna Ceramic Burr Manual Coffee Grinder is small and easy to use. It seems to grind the right amount for reusable kcups, aeropress or Moka pots. If I am brewing for more than a couple of people, I may need to grind a couple small batches with this grinder. I like that it is silent so doesn’t wake others when I am preparing my morning coffee. I do have a larger electronic grinder that is more convenient, but it is louder and I may be crazy but I think the manually ground tastes a little better. (Either way is good though!)
The Cozyna grinder is a nice size for travel and can easily be dissembled to clean or to pack. On the downside, it is a little too easily dissembled as I discovered when someone accidentally bumped it and knocked it over (the handle and lid flew off). Luckily it was easily re-assembled too. But I am concerned about the durability of this grinder around the handle. There are always tradeoff though! Overall, it is a nice manual grinder at an affordable price.
Ozeri Deluxe Stainless Steel Milk Frother and 12-Ounce Frothing Pitcher:
I love this milk frother from Ozeri. I use it for coffee, steamed milk, cocoa, and matcha green tea lattes. I originally dismissed milk frothers as a silly gimmick, but then Ozeri offered me one for review after I reviewed their pepper grinder. I have used it just about every day for a month. It is in the nice to have, not “need to have” category. However, if you like hot drinks that involve milk foam it is very, very nice to have!
I have used this frother with dairy, almond, cashew and coconut milk and it worked well for them all!
Bruntmor Crux – Espresso Deluxe / Bistro, Drink Long Handle Iced Tea Spoon, Crafted From High Quality 18/10 Steel – Set of 4
I recently bought these teaspoons for a discounted price to review on Amazon, I decided to include them in this post because I noticed I reached for them when serving myself a latte in a taller mug. I think their appearance nicely complements the vintage French press and they are also made of stainless steel! They are available in either a set of 4 or a set of 8.
Where To Purchase:
The products featured in my curated collection of Retro Stainless Steel Coffee Service are all available on Amazon!
- Product listing for Francois et Mimi Vintage Double Wall French Press
- Product Listing For The Coyna Ceramic Burr Manual Coffee Grinder
- Ozeri OZMF2 Deluxe Stainless Steel Milk Frother and 12-Ounce Frothing Pitcher
- Bruntmor Crux – Espresso Deluxe / Bistro, Drink Long Handle Iced Tea Spoon, Crafted From High Quality 18/10 Steel – Set of 4
Alex @ Smart Kitchen Guide says
Simple yet classy collection, Loved it.
David @ MilkFrotherJudge says
Great collection. I bought Ozeri frother few weeks ago and I found it to be much easier to froth milk with than the steamer that is on the side of our espresso machine. Plus its a lot easier to clean because just have to remove the attachment and wash it.