There are many ways to improve our nutrition. Most plans that are sustainable as a lifestyle involve some aspect of portion management. Using a food scale is one method that seems to inspire polarizing responses. Some people love the accuracy, while others rebel against measuring their food or perhaps it triggers issues.
I use to think it was too difficult to use a food scale, so I would guesstimate my portions. Now I have evolved to consider it a very useful tool. In this post, I will demonstrate some benefits of a kitchen scale using a Gurin Touch Digital Kitchen Scale.
I was fortunate that Gurin sent me this scale to review, I needed to replace my old kitchen scale and this one is nearly perfect for me. I have been using the Gurin Touch Digital Kitchen Scale for about two weeks.
|My Gurin Kitchen Scale Shown With An Apple For “Scale”. #DigitalKitchenScale|
Why Use a Kitchen Scale:
- Some recipe books use ingredient weight instead of volume, this is more accurate as it is possible to squeeze more ingredients into a set volume than ideal. My British cookbooks tend to use weight for each ingredient.
- It is the best portion control tool (in my opinion). It is easy to eat more than a suggested serving and believe we are eating the suggested serving size. A food scale removes the guesswork without creating additional dirty dishes.
- Since you can tare (set the scale to zero) with an item like a plate on top, it also trains your eyes to recognize your chosen portion sizes on your own plates. This makes it easier to wean yourself off the scale once you have accomplished your goal (whatever your goal is).
Sometimes people who want to lose or gain weight like to use one of the popular nutrition tracking apps such as Spark People, My Fitness Pal, Fitbit or Loseit. Using a food scale makes this easier as most will give an option to log your food in grams. It can get even easier. If you have a smart phone or tablet, you can log your food as you weigh it. For fresh ingredients, you will likely need to search the app’s database first time (be sure and save it to your favorites if it is something you eat often). For packaged foods, you can use the apps bar code scanner to look up the item and the scale weight to log it accurately.
How to Use A Food Scale For Portion Management (With No Extra Cleanup!):
If you use a scale that has a “tare” feature, you can weigh food in your regular dishes, cups or bowls. As shown in the above diagram you:
1. Set your plate (or cup, etc) on the scale then “Tare”. The weight should be rest to zero
2. Add your first item and log the weight (if you keep a journal or use a nutrition tracking app)
3. Then Tare
4. Add the next item then tare
5. Repeat as needed
The technique above also works with items that are in jars, bottles or packages such as salsa, salad dressing, peanut butter or hummus.
1. Put the entire container of food on the scale
2. Tare, notice when it is reset to zero
3. remove your portion from the container
4. The weight you removed will show on the scale as a negative number
About the Gurin Touch Digital Kitchen Scale:
I like the attractive, sleek appearance. It reminds me a little of a tablet. The Gurin Touch Digital Kitchen Scale weighs in grams, ounces (and pounds), fluid ounces and milliliters. The tempered glass top is attractive and easy to clean after use.
Product Features Include:
- Features advanced touch sensitive buttons for easy operation
- Boasts a tempered glass surface in reflective black that is 4 times stronger than normal glass, and an award-winning thin design.
- Equipped with 4 new high precision GFX sensors, the Gurin Touch Digital Kitchen Scale provides accurate measurements from 0.05 oz to 12 lbs 10.8 oz (1 gram to 5750 grams).
- Precision Tare features calculates the net weight of the ingredients
- Includes 2 lithium batteries and an easy access battery compartment (no screwdriver needed).
The tips in this post will work with just about any scale that includes a “tare” button. If you are looking for an attractive digital kitchen scale, I do recommend the Gurin Touch Digital Kitchen Scale.
Where To Purchase:
The Gurin Touch Digital Kitchen Scale is available on Amazon.com: Product listing for this scale