Feeling Safe is a big part of Feeling Fit. These days so many of us meet our partner’s online through social media, dating apps, Tinder or other websites. Often these online connections turn into real life romance. But occasionally they lead to tragedy.
DateScan is a new app that offers resources to help keep you safe when you date or meet with a stranger. I am pleased to partner with DateScan to share information about this resource. I had the opportunity to ask DateScan’s founder Ankit Patel a few questions.
“We believe that love is blind, but dating shouldn’t be,” explains Ankit Patel, “DateScan is equipped with features intended to make the dating game safer. Further, it is designed to prevent people from experiencing some of the possible pitfalls that go along with the dating process.”
People spend so much of their free time online. It is only natural that we want to meet people face-to-face that we connect with online. DateScan’s iPhone app is one way to make these meetings safer.
“With DateScan, you can check for your date’s name on known offender lists. Also, if the date does not work out, you can use fake call feature to simulate call from a family member for an excuse to get out of the date.”
Key Features of DateScan Include:
- DateScan – This allows you to check offender registries with a name and touch of a button.
- FakeCall – If you ever need to interrupt an awkward or unsafe moment you can simulate a FakeCall from your family & rescue yourself from an awkward situation.
- Safe-Trip – Choose your trip, select or snap photo, add comments and save it.
- Siren – If you’re ever in trouble, press the Siren button and make yourself heard! It will simulate police siren.
- Dynamic 911 – This allows you to Fast Dial 911, dynamic emergency number based on location and background auto snap & alert while on 911.
- Store Emergency Contacts And Important Numbers – Send your all emergency contacts a text message with just one click.
As a DateScan user, all of your information is stored securely on their server on the cloud.
“You can log information about your date using the Safetrip feature. That information will be saved on our secure server and no one can access this information except law enforcement agencies upon request.” Explained Patel, ”
In addition to using DateScan, Here Are a Few Other Safety Tips:
1. Do a little research. I am not suggesting that you stalk your date, but sometimes it can help to look him (or her) up on social media, to run a Google search and to try the DateScan app to check that your date is not a registered offender.
2. Meet your date in a public place, do not share your home address until you feel comfortable. When I was single, I often met a date for lunch or coffee after work.
3. Tell a friend who you are meeting, at what time and where. One of DateScan’s features is to send a text to your friend with one click. If the friend is aware you are meeting a stranger, then she or he will be more prepared to respond.
4. Relax and have fun, but also, trust your instincts. If something does not feel right or you perceive signs of potential danger respect your instincts.
Video Demonstration of DateScan:
The following video from DateScan provides a quick introduction to the DateScan app’s interface and features.