Essential fatty acids including Omega-3 oils promote health and vitality for everyone in the family. Feeling Fit has partnered with Nordic Naturals to share information about the benefits of Omega-3 oils.
Nordic Naturals has graciously agreed to sponsor a reader giveaway! One lucky reader will win a Taste Pure Love Family Prize Package featuring new and classic products from their supplement line. The prize includes something for everyone including adults, children and pets in the family! To enter, use the giveaway widget at the end of this post.To enter, use the giveaway widget at the end of this post now through May 27, 2016.
First, I need to mention that I received a prize package so I can try the products mentioned.
Health Benefits of Omega 3 For All Life Stages:
The following statements have not been evaluated by the food And Drug Administration. It is not intended to treat or diagnose illness and is not medical advice. I curated the list from many benefits included in Nordic Naturals promotional literature and a couple of third party reference sites on the Web…
- Heart Health: Omega – 3’s are believed to support healthy triglyceride levels, blood pressure, heart rhythm and other aspects of cardiovascular health.
- Brain Function: There is a reason that fatty fish are called “brain food”, it is believed that Omega-3’s may help preserve memory and cognitive function as we age.
- Mood Support: Some studies have indicated that some Omega-3’s (EPA and DHA) can help improve or enhance overall mood.
- Healthy Joints and Eyes: Omega-3’s may help maintain healthy structure and function of these tissues.
- Skin Health: One study apparently tested women aged 45-60 for signs of aging then followed up 2 1/2 years later. The women with highest intake of EPA had fewer topical signs of aging!
- Healthy Pregnancy: Omega-3’s are important for fetal development (especially DHA).
- Brain, eye and nervous system development in young children
- Cellular health, brain and eye health, immune health and a healthy skin and coat for pets
Foods Rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Good nutrition is important and I prefer to meet my dietary needs through food. The Complete Mediterranean Diet by Michael Ozner, MD features 500 healthy recipes. Many of these recipes are rich in essential fatty acids including Omega 3 oils.
Examples of Foods Rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Fish & Seafood: Some examples include anchovies, caviar, Pacific cod, herring, salted mackerel, salmon. They are rich in EPA and DHA and also have some ALA.
- Nuts & Seeds: Some examples include flaxseed, walnuts, soy nuts, chia seeds and hickory nuts. These are rich in ALA.
- Eggs: Eggs have a mix of EPA, DHA, and ALA
- Vegetables: Examples include sprouted raw radish seeds, edamame, and wheat germ. These contain some ALA.
Source: This information is available from numerous sources, I consulted this article on Food Sources of Omega-3 Fats from Dietitians of Canada.
Sometimes it can be a challenge to consistently eat enough foods rich in all the Omega 3 fatty acids. According to Nordic Naturals, 91% of adults are deficient in Omega-3’s!
In those situations, supplements may be beneficial. Also, fish oil supplements typically filter out mercury (be sure and check with the brand, they usually mention this in the product description).
More About Our Sponsor Nordic Naturals:
Nordic Naturals is driven by a mission to eliminate the global omega-3 deficiency and to help people of every age live a better life. As the # 1 fish oil company in the US, they invoke a set of very high standards when producing their products.
One of these standards is TASTE because in order for a fish oil to taste good it has to be outrageously fresh and if it doesn’t taste good, you won’t take it.
Ensuring their products are PURE is the next important standard as they believe a fish oil supplement should be obsessively tested for high quality and they don’t just say it, they prove it.
And finally LOVE, when Nordic Naturals manufactures their fish oil products they will not stop until it is passionately perfected, because nothing less will do. Their love for what they do and the people they do it for drives them to do it right at any cost. They do what they do for health, for the health of your children and your children’s children.
Source: Company description from Nordic Naturals publicity materials
Nordic Naturals Discount:
FAMILY16 – Expires 06/30/2016
15% discount on all phone and web orders – free shipping on all orders over $25.
My Experience With Nordic Naturals:
I started using Nordic Naturals Fish oil supplement after I won some from another blogger’s giveaway over a year ago. The prize was impressive as they sent the fish oil and an adorable gift bag packed with Nordic Naturals swag. I am so pleased to host this giveaway!
I believe that my skin, hair and nails have improved since I started taking fish oil. I use to have drier skin, especially in the Fall and Winter seasons. I found it interesting to read that it is believed to benefit the skin as I didn’t know that when I started taking them.
Most of the prize package supplements are Omega-3, however, Nordic Naturals also includes children’s probiotics and vitamin D. I am fairly cautious with supplements, but I do take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, probiotic and vitamin D (I am a sunscreen wearer in the Pacific Northwest!). I sampled the vitamin D and probiotic for “research sake”. They are delicious if you like gummies. I do suggest keeping them out of reach of small children so they don’t eat too many.
Nordic Naturals also sent a copy of The Complete Mediterranean Diet by Michael Ozner, MD. This cookbook contains 500 healthy recipes with an emphasis on healthy fats, fresh produce and lean protein. I was slightly disappointed by the lack of pictures, but this book is an excellent resource!
Enter To Win Nordic Naturals Taste Pure Love Family Prize Package:
This Pure Love Family Prize Pack contains something for everyone in the family. Feeling Fit is simply hosting the giveaway and not responsible for prize fulfillment. I mention this as it is possible the sponsor, Nordic Naturals, might make amendments based on prize availability. However, in my experience, Nordic Naturals is very generous with their prize winners!
Nordic Naturals Taste Pure Love Family Prize Pack Contains:
- The Complete Mediterranean Diet by Michael Ozner, MD cookbook containing 500 healthy recipes. I was slightly disappointed by the lack of pictures, but this book is an excellent resource!
- Complete Omega Xtra
- Ultimate Omega 2X
- Children’s DHA
- Probiotic Gummies KIDS
- Vitamin D3 Gummies KIDS
- Baby’s DHA
- Omega-3 Pet
Estimated value over $160!
Enter To Win:
For those who are not familiar with Feeling Fit giveaways… All the entry options are optional. I need at least one entry through the widget to administer the giveaway. Each optional entry you choose increases your odds as each entry counts as one ticket. The winner is randomly selected by the Gleam app. We have had winners who only completed one entry and winners who have completed each option. Good luck!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."