Mashup is a fun fitness format featuring HIIT conditioning exercises, yoga, and other mind-body practices. Mashup offers ten digital streaming workouts through the Booya streaming fitness video platform. Mashup workouts last 16 minutes for an efficient workout on days when you just don’t have time for a longer workout.
This post is written in partnership with Mashup. I received complimentary access to all ten workouts and have included them in my fitness routine.
Spoiler alert — I love these conditioning workouts as they are short but helps with strength, aerobic conditioning, and flexibility.
How I Incorporate Mashup Conditioning Into My Routine:
First, I need to remind you that it is always wise to seek medical advice before starting a new fitness program or increasing the intensity. Nothing in this post is intended as professional advice. I am simply sharing my impressions and experience with the Mashup Conditioning workouts on Booya Fitness.
Since the workouts are short, they can be used on days when I am short on time or can be combined to create longer workouts.
I enjoy a lot of low to moderate intensity activities such as Belly Dancing, Hoop Dancing, flowing yoga, golfing and walking. I find my fitness is better if I incorporate short duration, intense workouts such as some of these Mashup Conditioning workouts. I like to warm-up, do a short, intense HIIT workout, then follow with time spent doing one of my favorite lighter activities such as dancing. I find when I do this, my recovery time improves, so I recover my breath much faster after bursts of activity like climbing stairs or a dance performance. I also find this format helps me overcome weight loss plateaus when combined with portion control and good nutrition.
In the past, I used stair laps, jump roping or kettlebell swings or other short HIIT workouts for my short, intense workout. I am so happy to have Mashup Conditioning to add a little variety as these workouts are fun.
I also use Mashup as a 30-to-32 minute workout mixing one of the mind-body focused workouts with one of the more vigorous conditioning workouts. This is great for days that I want a good workout, at home and am short on time.
Mashup Workout Program Summary:
- Instructor: Jamie Zacharias
- Difficulty Level: Varies as three modification levels are demonstrated. Most are intended to be vigorous within your own fitness level.
- Runtime: Varies, but they are pretty short usually around 15 minutes
- Purpose: Interval workouts for cardio conditioning, strength, and some flexibility.
- Music: Varies, I like some of the music as it sounds like real music in the electronic dance genre
- Equipment Used: Usually a light weight and a yoga mat or just your own body and a mat
- Impact Level: Mixed, there are level three high impact plyometric options but modifications are available
- Setting: Well lit studio environment
- Instructor Apparel: The instructor and background demonstrators typically wear Capri leggings and a workout top — nothing particularly revealing
What I Like About These Workouts:
- The workouts are short and efficient; each is 15 – 16 minutes long
- The form cues and exertion cues are excellent and clear.
- The workouts seem well organized to me — This is typical of the Booya Fitness platform but even so the structure and cues are excellent. The cues include a whistle sound to indicate end of a workout, on-screen captions listing the upcoming exercise, and list at beginning of what equipment you need.
- I love the clear and simple camera work. This may sound strange to note but some workout media involve overly complicated camera work or extreme closeups that limit view of the exercises. All three demonstrators are usually visible from head-to-toe. There were ocasional closeups, but it was not too excessive.
- There is minimal “chit-chat”. I like form cures, exertion cues and occasional motivational statements. I may be unusual in this way, but I really don’t like too many conversational chit-chat in my workout media as it limits the replay value. What works well in a live class doesn’t always translate well to video. I don’t recall any “annoying” (to me) chit chat in these workouts.
These Streaming Workouts Might Not Be For You If:
- You prefer lower intensity steady state cardio as there are interval workouts as these focus on interval workouts.
- You are a purist with your mind-body exercises. These workouts do feature a “mashup” of common agility and conditioning calisthenics, plyometrics along with mind-body exercises borrowed from yoga, pilates, and other disciplines. I know some like to keep their mind-body practice pure and authentic. This is more of a fusion workout that uses mind-body moves. I love these types of fusion and I also like more pure mind-body workouts.
In conclusion, I found Mashup fun, challenging and refreshing. The 15-16 minute workouts are efficient for days when I don’t have time for a full hour workout. With more time, I could always combine workouts but most are high intensity if done as instructed so I probably would not combine them to create more than a 30-minute interval workout (with the exception of adding on the Mind/Body meltdown as a warmup or cooldown for one of the HIIT workouts).
About Mashup Conditioning Exercises:
The following description came from Mashup Conditioning, I felt it is an excellent description of this format so I am sharing it…
Seven of the workouts combine Mind/Body, Agility & Strength, and High-intensity intervals while three of them take you through just one of those three modalities during the 15 minutes. MASHUP™ is considered one of the most effective and safest ways to achieve desired results in less time whether you are using the digital workouts or taking a live class! These digital workouts are available through IOS App, Chromecast, and Airplay.
Booya Fitness offers every workout class you can imagine. From Barre to UrbanKick to MASHUP™, Booya Fitness gives you access to the fitness industry’s hottest boutique studios and formats from the comfort of your home. Ranked as the number one destination for streaming classes by Glamour Magazine, Booya Fitness gets you sweating in seconds! Featured in Glamour Magazine, Vogue, Goop and more. Try 30 days free. Cancel Anytime.
Purchase all 10 workouts for $35 with unlimited lifetime access at https://www.booyafitness.com/the-evolution-of-hiit
Interested In A Live Mashup Conditioning Class?
Mashup Conditioning also offers a live boot camp format in select areas. They recently had a successful crowdfunding campaign to help spread their format. To check availability of Mashup Conditioning Bootcamp classes in your area, visit their website.